Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Pattern

Romans 12:1-2
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer you bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship. do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is- his good, pleasing and perfect will.

We were challenged in church today regarding this, the pattern of this world. How often do we conform to this worldly pattern? What is the Normal Christian Life? How does the Normal christian life compare to the Typical christian life? How has our society infiltrated the church. Perhaps better asked, How has the church embraced society?

I look at my typical christian life and see very much the pattern of my world. How many times do we discuss the newest American Idol, quote Clinton and Stacey regarding fashion or use retail therapy to de-stress after a long day? How often do we discuss scripture, quote Christ regarding our struggles or pray together to de-stress after a long day? The scale is not tipped in the right direction.

I do not want this life. I want the Normal Christian life. In "The Overcoming Life" Watchman Nee defines the normal Christian life as the following.
"The Bible shows us that God has ordained for every Christian a life that is filled with joy. This life is completely at peace, has no barriers in its fellowship with God, and is not contrary to His will in any way. The life that God has prepared for a Christian is one that does not thirst after the world. It walks apart from sin and is victorious over sin. It is holy, powerful, and victorious. It knows the will of God and fellowships with God without interruption. This is the life that God has ordained in the Scripture for a Christian."

My culture tells me that I must look a certain way, have a certain boyfriend, achieve certain things in order to have identity, meaning, purpose and community. After a while, the lies start to sink in and I find myself wanting. It is subtle the affect the world has on my relationship with Christ. Truth is the antidote to lies. My spirit struggles to believe what my head knows to be truth.

Romans 8:1-8
Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit. Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; the sinful man is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law , nor can it do so. Those controlled by the sin full nature cannot please God.


May I be sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit. May my life reflect what is normal for a Christ follower, not merely what is typical. May the World see in me something different, something that will lead them to Christ. For Christ alone can give us an identity that will never change, meaning in a meaningless world, purpose to know Him and a sense of community. I pray that my city will come to see the inadequacy of the band aides and come to know Christ. Kick us out of our comfort zones Lord that you might be glorified.

3 comments:

Jane said...

Good words, Ab. Thanks for sharing your heart and challenging me at the same time. So glad to call you friend :)

sarah beth said...

Amen, sister!!!

Anna said...

Yes, yes.
I love Watchman Nee!