Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Ninaitwa Kenya



The BBC news is my window to the world here in the middle of the US. Typically the headlines are interesting in a non-personal way. In contrast, the events in Kenya in the past few weeks are strangely personal. At times it seems like last week when I was eating chapatis and attempting Swahili, but in reality it was 2 1/2 years. The two short months I lived in Kenya were significant in my development as a doctor, as a Christ follower and as a person. I remember asking my friends, both Kikuyu and Luo, how the different tribes interacted. The general consensus was that "our" generation saw beyond the tribal distinctions. The conflict was behind them, limited to their parents opinions of who they should marry.

I have read some of the blogs by "our" generation in Kenya and I see that they too are dismayed at the actions their peers have taken. What is it that drives people to attack their friends, their neighbors, their colleagues over ethnic identity? This is a question that can not be easily answered. I am quick to say that I can not understand the division. Americans do not speak of Irish, German, English descent as anything more than interesting trivia. Yet, I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the stereotypes and discrimination faced by minorities in my country. The disarray and crimes in after hurricane Katrina should warn us that we, as Americans, are not above violence and tragedy in the face of chaos. And I find it is easier to understand.

My city was recently hit by tragedy. 8 people were killed by a suicidal young man. As tragic as it was, it pales in comparison to the violence in Kenya. I think of the people I met, the friends I made and I wonder how they are. Tragedies can be impersonal, particularly when the struggle is on the other side of the globe. This conflict is uniquely personal for me. I ache for my friends, for the country that was so good to me, for the future of a country with so much promise. May the Lord redeem the pain and suffering of Kenya's people, may the violence end as suddenly as it began. May the conflicts of history not be repeated and may forgiveness conquer revenge

(My name is Kenya)

No comments: