Friday, January 18, 2008

A Day

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I have had a day. Not good, not bad, just a day. Somewhat spiritually draining to be honest. I worked with a psychiatrist this morning (ie MD who does mental health) and a chaplain for Visiting Nurses Hospice program (ie medical care for terminal ill) in the afternoon.

This am was the typical medical perspective on life. Treat the disorder with medicine and have someone else do the counseling. Spiritual issues weren't addressed. I talked to a patient with schizophrenia. He is doing quite well- the voices sound like a low radio in the background and the three people that he sees regularly haven't been too bothersome lately. He knows that if "The Man Who Wants a Gun" gets a gun he (The MAN) will hurt him with it. He has been known to have out of body experiences in the past. As the psychiatrist said, "If I didn't know better I would say he was possessed." And I wondered. It is not politically correct to be "possessed" in the United States. I can not address and issue that does not exist.

The chaplain I worked with does not know Jesus, but she has all the right words. She embraces sin, but acts as a liaison between dying people and God. She assures people that they will go to heaven, that their husband is waiting for them, that they are going home. She quotes the 23rd Psalm and John 3:16. And my spirit cries because she does not know truth. It is not politically correct to tell someone that they might not go to heaven if they die. She sees something in me that is different. I am "interesting". She said I have a "vocation" and prayed for a husband that would complement that. I'm not really sure what to do with that!

And my spirit is drained. I long to speak truth and healing but have been stifled today. Oh Lord, hear my prayer and listen to my cry for mercy. In your righteousness and faithfulness come to my relief. Ps 143... May I have words, boldness and opportunity to speak your truth and healing. May their hearts be willing to hear what you would speak to them.

No comments: