Saturday, September 6, 2008

Faithfulness

It is easy to miss God's faithfulness in the busyness of life. I was reminded in a very profound way this summer of where God has taken me and given a new hope for the future.

In high school my friend Jessica and I would meet weekly at a coffee shop and talk about God, our dreams for the future, how our devotions were going etc. Over the four years of High school we led worship team together, did Jr high bible studies, went to youth retreats and in general had a blast. Commonly we would talk about going to the mission field, maybe being married, me being a doctor, and wondered what countries we would go to and what languages we would learn. We had amazing dreams for where God would take us.

Jessica and her husband are now missionaries overseas. They teach bible and music and have a great time! It was fun to see God bring a man into her life with giftings and passions that complement hers so well! This summer they came back home because they were going to have a baby...and wanted me to be their doctor! I was so excited and privileged to be taking care of them and their unborn son.

The delivery was so fun! I was the first one to "meet" their first born son and to hand him to his excited (and tired!) parents. After the delivery was over I was able to pray a blessing over him. Wow. 10 years ago we could have never imagined such a scenario! God has fulfilled so many of our dreams and brought us to some amazing places.

It is easy for me to get discouraged by the never ending business of my life. It is hard to imagine life outside of residency. This delivery was a profound reminder that God IS Faithful! I have so many dreams that seem impossible, but really, the reality that God has for me is so rich that I am sure to look back in 10 years and be amazed at where God has taken me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! An new post from Abbie! So nice to see Faithfulness when I click on your blog instead of The Death! Love you!!!